"Too often we miss the grace that's right in front of us. In our quest for something other-worldly and spectacular, we overlook the everyday miracles that surround us." (Bringing Home the Word, October 13th, 2013)
In the Gospel reading this Sunday, Jesus cures 10 lepers, but only one returns to thank him. How often do we forget to give thanks to the Lord or to others for the everyday miracles our lives?
For meditation: In an effort to be more grateful today, try these 5 ways of showing gratitude:
5 Simple but Powerful Ways to Show Gratitude
1. Write a note of gratitude to your child, spouse, coworker, neighbor, or friend and put is somewhere that they will find it during their day (lunchbox, car window, computer screen, front porch). State something specific that you are grateful for in your relationship with them.
2. Say a heartfelt thank you to your mailman, garbage collector, bank teller, or grocery clerk. Look them in the eye and tell them something specific that they did to make your day a little better.
3. Send a thank you note, email, or text to someone who has made a positive impact on your life, giving examples of why you are grateful for them.
4. Do someone a free favor. Without them asking and expecting anything in return, do something nice for someone who has been kind to you. Buy them coffee and drop it at their work, cook a meal for their family, offer to run an errand, anything they’d really appreciate.
5. Give a heartfelt hug to someone you love! Often we can go too long without showing our affection, but it is a crucial part of our loving relationships. Tell them how much you love them and say thank you for a specific thing the person has done for you.
"One of them, realizing he had been healed, returned, glorifying God in a loud voice; and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him. He was a Samaritan."
Please visit often as new meditations are posted weekly.